Friday evening, Dec 5- Fernando and I had dinner and talked about all we needed to do on his weekend off to prepare for Lucy's arrival in the coming weeks. It was only week 37, we had time! Ha! We were going to pack the bags for the hospital and go to Babies R Us for a few more things. Fernando was going to finish up some shelves he was working on for her room.
9:30 PM, I am SO tired and go to bed early.
During the night...I get up to pee WAY more than I have been. Looking back, I think my system was cleaning itself out.
WARNING: possibly too much info!
Saturday morning, Dec 6- 6:30AM I go to bathroom for what seemed like the 10th time...back to bed and gush of water...however, I think it is just mucus plug as lots of mucus coming out. I check birth book and it says labor is anywhere from 1-7 days when mucus plug comes out. I feel fine so go back to bed. I tell Fernando that I lost mucus plug. We go to sleep.
7AM- Start feeling not so great. Abdomen starts hurting. I still do not think these are contractions.
8AM- I am pretty sure what I feel are contractions but we have a hard time timing them. Fernando is now awake and I am stating to be in pain, but not SO bad.
9AM- Fer is running around packing bags, calling parents, etc. I am in bed trying not to lose it from the pain. I am in shock and cannot believe these contractions are the real thing although I cannot stand up my legs are shaking so bad.
I take a HOT shower somewhere in here. Fer said I was in there for at least 30-45 minutes.
10AM- We call the doctor's office as I am sweating uncontrollably after getting out of the shower. The midwife asked me questions and decided I should come to hospital. I am still in shock and wonder if I can withstand labor if this is early labor without epidural. I had not submitted my early hospital registration or have chosen a pediatrician!
Midwife sounds very skeptical on the phone that this is the real thing. We agree to meet at hospital in an hour. Fer helps me dress.
10:30 AM- We drive to hospital. Me with my eyes closed the whole time. Still cannot believe this is happening...we are not ready!
11AM- Arrive at hospital...I have to tell the nurse all my registration info. She apologizes but I was not preregistered! AH!
11:30 or so- We are checked into a labor/delivery room. Midwife arrives a short while later. She has monitors attached to me and checks to see status of dilation. She is SO surprised...I am at 7 1/2 centimeters!! She asks if I want epidural. I decide to hold off as I am much more calm, although in shock still, and feel better just being at hospital in good hands.
Midwife and main nurse were wonderful and so calm and reassuring the whole time. Fer was by my side and even though I had several opportunities the midwife agreed that I could deliver the baby naturally within a few hours! Wow!
2:00PM- Pushing started....longest hour and 41 minutes of my life! I was getting so tired...I had not had breakfast or lunch. I did get to have water and then ice chips since I did not have epidural. IV was pumping fluids into me though as I was near exhaustion.
3:41PM- Lucy finally arrived! Her shoulder did get stuck on my pelvis which resulted in some tearing...I think worse than the pushing...butt recovery!
Anyway, that is the story...we are sleep deprived and happy and I am starting to get get cabin fever. Breast feeding is a whole other saga...but I will leave that out.
Merry Christmas to all! Our present is here early!!
flying
17 years ago
1 comment:
I wish you could see me right now...I am sobbing! I am so proud of you and your family is just so beautiful. I wish I could be there. Congratulations on natural child birth...those who haven't been there cannot imagine the pain or the joy when it is over :) If you need anything, please don't hesitate to call.
Post a Comment